After a chilly Thursday on the Dutch racetrack, which is located about 160 kilometres northeast of Amsterdam, the sun was back just in time for the first free practice of the TT Grand Prix of Assen and provided temperatures up to 23°C.
It was an unusual tight Friday for the Moto2-class. Until the 20th position the gap on this afternoon only was eight tenths and therefore less than a second. Just 2.96 seconds behind the front and 0.009 seconds behind his teammate Marcel Schrötter on fourth position, Tom Lüthi followed in sixth position. But the Swiss was not satisfied at 100%, as he had to ride at the limit quite a lot to achieve his lap time of 1’37.694. The championship-second will sit down with his crew now to get more stability into his bike, which is still too nervous at the moment, and to work towards the race on Sunday, in which he will have to be constantly fast.
Tom Lüthi P6 - 1'37.694 (+0.296)
«The result is not bad and the gap is not huge either, but we still have a lot to improve. I was still too close to the limit. We have to try to get the bike more stable and get rid of the movements. For me it was better this morning than in the afternoon. The bike was more difficult to handle in the FP2. Assen is a very fluid track. Assen is a very fluent track with a lot of throttle and the bike is not stable enough for that. Now it's mainly setup work that we have to be focused on. With new tyres I was able to rider some fast laps. With the used tyres I could be a bit faster later, but it was still too much risky.»
1. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'38.151
2. Lorenzo BALDASSARRI / ITA / KALEX - 1'38.157 (+0.006)
3. Jonas FOLGER / GER / KALEX - 1'38.199 (+0.048)
6. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'38.289 (+0.138)
10. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'38.388 (+0.237)
1. Brad BINDER / RSA / KTM - 1'37.398
2. Remy GARDNER / AUS / KALEX - 1'37.530 (+0.132)
3. Sam LOWES / GBR / KALEX - 1'37.592 (+0.194)
4. Marcel SCHROTTER / GER / KALEX - 1'37.685 (+0.287)
6. Thomas LUTHI / SWI / KALEX - 1'37.694 (+0.296)
Combined practice times: motogp.com